8 Benefits of Cryotherapy in Pleasanton for Athletes
From hiking and running to swimming and soccer, California offers no shortage of opportunities to stay active and fit.
At the same time, athletes also face specific risks and injuries to their musculoskeletal system. Cryotherapy provides a unique solution to help you stay healthy and on top of your game. Here’s how.
What is Cryotherapy?
Cryotherapy involves subjecting your body to subzero temperatures for short periods of time. Temperatures range from -150°F to -300°F with treatment times between two and three minutes.
This treatment stimulates your body’s fight-or-flight response which triggers production of oxygen-rich blood and endorphins. Beyond helping athletes, cryotherapy is beneficial for boosting collagen production and skin elasticity.
The Benefits of Cryotherapy for Athletes
Athletes face a wide range of challenges from inflammation to sore muscles. Many studies have closely examined cryotherapy for athletes and found the following results.
- It encourages your metabolism to burn fat.
- It reduces inflammation and associated pain.
- It supports bone health and reduces risk of fractures.
- It reduces stress by lowering cortisol levels after high-intensity exercise.
- It keeps hormones balanced.
- It enhances antioxidant capabilities to ward off oxidative stress and free radical damage.
- It reduces muscle damage and fatigue after high-intensity exercise.
- It speeds up performance recovery after high-intensity exercise.
Cryotherapy in Pleasanton and Union City, CA
After precooling our cryochamber and cryosauna, you’ll enter and disrobe. We suggest wearing gloves, socks, and underwear (for men) to protect extremities against frostbite. Keep in mind that treatments are more effective with more skin exposure.
Your head will stick out of the top of the chamber so you can breathe normal oxygenated air while bursts of liquid nitrogen mist around the rest of your body in 20-30-second intervals.